Sunday, March 24, 2013

The best smoothies

I love fruit!

Really.

I have never met a fruit I didn't like and having grown up in a tropical country that is a lot of fruit variations.

You can come to my house any day and I will always have a basket full of fruit. We never go without. One of my main reasons for having so much fruit around is not really because I love fruit as much as it is because my son could honestly live off of fruit alone, no joke.



Since getting back on weight watchers I enjoy having a smoothie as breakfast since its filling and holds me over till lunch time which is an awesome thing.

So I have been on a mission to finding the best smoothies out there in the hope of being able to rotate them and not filling like I am having the same thing every day. So far here is what I have found to be the best breakfast smoothie that actually taste amazing. Never again will you find me at a Jamba Juice, ever!

For my breakfast smoothie I have a simple recipe that I use that uses the same amount of milk, yogurt, spinach and peanut butter but you can alternate the fruit you use, here it is:

1/2-3/4 cup of coconut milk (you can really use any kind of milk that's just my favorite)
1/2 cup of greek yogurt
1-2 tbsp of peanut butter
2 cups of fresh spinach
1 frozen banana
1/2-1 cup of any other fruit (I have tried frozen and fresh fruit and both work good)

You can make this smoothie with just the banana and no other fruit, its super yummy but I would then use only 1/2 cup of milk and only 1 tbsp of peanut butter. For the additional fruit I have tried strawberries, cherries, extra banana, papaya, mango and pineapple. I like them all except for the strawberry one because of the seeds but that was it the rest were super delicious. I just put the liquid in fruit then the fruit and peanut butter and top it with the spinach and blend away.

I have also started making a new drink the last few days with orange juice that is so good and totally takes me back to my childhood as my mother used to make it for us growing up in Costa Rica. I found a recipe for it on my favorite website Skinnytaste that is 0 points on weight watchers and made it only to fall in love with it so now I have been making it almost daily only that now I don't really measure anything other than the orange juice.

1 cup of orange juice
1 banana
2 cups of papaya

And blend. I actually added more papaya to mine and turned out really good so I don't think it matters how much fruit you add. I also keep my fruit frozen most of the time and have done it that way you just have to add more orange juice and this way it tasted just like I was having a smoothie from Jamba Juice.



1 comment:

Midwayedancer said...

Yum! Ryan has been really into smoothies and I am always on the lookout for new recipes.