Sunday, September 13, 2009

Different kind of ward

Our ward is kinda different, I have never been to a ward that is quite like this one. I guess the closes to this was the West Philly ward I grew up going to but even that it does not come close. We have now been in this ward for 6 months but I still leave church with my mouth open from shock every sunday. My first sunday in this ward I sat behind a weird guy who while the opening prayer was going on he kept on saying "buddah" over and over again, at first in a low voice but as the prayer went on he got louder. It was actually kinda funny. Oh and then this, for the first month or so every sunday our bishop asked us if we were knew in the ward, finally I felt so awkward that I started going in a different way so that he wouldn't ask me. Maybe he has memory lose or something. At the only activity I have actually gone to, I was talking to a newer sister about how weird the ward was and she said that when she first moved in that they told her that this was just an amazing ward and that she would love it here and then she said "these poor people have never been to a really nice ward, they have no idea what they are talking about" isn't that funny? At least I am not the only one that feels this way. Don't get me wrong there are some nice, normal people in the ward but those are very few.

A few funny stories; the last month or so the ambulance has been called at least 4 times during sacrament. Today Jon goes to a sister "is it me or does it seem like every sunday something happens and the ambulance needs to be called" and she goes "yeah Jon, it only happens when you come to church" so he was like "I might need to stop coming cause I think we are only one sunday away from someone dying". Seriously though its crazy, the one sunday a 92 year old woman tried to fast and past out, God bless her. 

Also normally whenever I have entered a new ward the relief society comes over to get to know you, if you are LDS you know how that works they always somehow find you, even if you don't want to be found but at this ward it was nothing like that. The first counselor lived next door to me for about 3 months and she knew I was about to have a kid and I lie to you not but I have Bentley and no one even bothered to see if I needed anything or how I was doing, NOTHING. The people who actually cared were neighbors who are not even LDS. Oh and then the only reason the relief society president came over to meet me, which by the way happened about 5 months into the ward, was to give me my visiting teaching assignment. Literally she came over told me who she was and said she wanted to get the face down with the name and gave me my assignment and that was it. Well I lost the paper with my assignment and I let her know that I needed a copy, I never got it but she keeps calling me asking if I have done my visiting teaching but I won't answer my phone. 

I keep telling Jon maybe some day when we move from here we can find a good ward. I really miss my last ward. We were only there for about 6 months but everyone was just so close and friendly. Some day I guess or maybe that's not in my cards. Sometimes none members are better that way I can be myself since to many members I come off as inappropriate. 

I do love the church and I do have a testimony but I tell you sometimes the people in the church are something else.

No comments: