Saturday, August 3, 2013

Quick trip to Utah

We ended up  taking a very short very last minute trip to Utah. 

It all started when I called to switch over our car insurance over to a California policy. When they wrote our new policy I was red flagged since my license had just expired. So I was not put on the new policy and had to sign some paper work stating that I would not drive the car. So this really sucked since I am very independent and like to go as I please and do whatever I want that will make my day fun. The next day I made it over to the DMV and asked what I would need to show in order to get a California drivers license.

Mind you when we left Utah our plan was that we were moving to Texas so I knew we would be going back to Utah to get all of our belonging. So I wasn't too worried about bringing any documents with us. Silly me. 

The one paper I needed to show in order to be able to get a license was somewhere in our storage unit in Utah. I looked up how to get a replacement of this paper and immediately found out it would cost $345. 

So long story short. I wasn't born here and didn't become a US citizen until 2010. I needed to show my certificate of naturalization to proof I am here legally. Had I know this paper was so valuable I would have brought it but I didn't.

So I get started with the process to order the replacement and its asking me for the certificate # and my green card #. Who knows where my old green card is and how am I supposed to know my certificate # since I am requesting a new one because the other one is not with me. Anyways we called up an immigration attorney and turns out in order to get those numbers from immigration you have to go through an attorney. It can take a few weeks for them to get it and then to get your replacement it will take up to 3 months. 

I didn't have 3 months to wait, specially since we would be living in a new city away from everyone we knew. So the decision was made that we would be going to Utah to look in our storage and try and find it.

I have never prayed so much in my life. I think I have everyone I knew praying for us and fasting. 

Lets just say prays work and they are answered daily in my life. My brother found the paper within 5 minutes of being in the storage unit. I was beyond myself, really. I hugged him and kissed him which he hates. 

We ended up being in utah a little over 48 hours since Jon was missing work and we needed that money.

In our short visit we got to see my cousin the first night and hang out with her which is always way fun. Bentley loves her. The next night we got to have dinner with our friends the Hardy's. We miss them dearly, she was my saving grace up in Utah and always came to my rescue. Bentley misses his bestfriend Brae so bad he often talks about her. Then Wednesday we hung out at my moms for part of the day and then we headed to my bestfriends house Jen who was one day away from giving birth. I am so bummed I wasn't able to be there for the birth but at least I got to see her. Then we headed to have dinner with Jon's sister, mom and kids. Bentley got to hang out with his favorite cousin those 2 are inseparable. When it was time to say goodbye many tears were shed, mostly by Bentley and his cousin. I think by them he had realized that he was no longer going to be able to see his cousin as often as before. It is pretty heart breaking but that's life.

We had a good drive back where we talked about our goals for the future, about keeping a budget and what it would look like about how we are going to pay off the major debt we are about to take on and about what we want for our little family. I do love long rides for that and especially long rides on caffeine they help you really think things through.

So as we left Utah we said goodbye to the last 7 years of our life. We had some really good times and memories and we had some really, really bad times that I wish I could erase from my memory but probably best I don't so I can have a reminder of where we were at one point. Coming into California we said hello to the next phase of our lives. What lays ahead we don't know but we are pretty excited and hopeful. 

Life is pretty awesome even with the not so happy memories you just have to look at the positive in it all. Sometimes its really hard to see the positive but if you look hard enough you can find it, trust me I've had to look really hard at times to see the positive in a not so good time and there have been times when I just realize that at the moment I will not know what the point of it all is but that some day I will look back and be able to recognize what the good in it all was.


1 comment:

Midwayedancer said...

Aw, I love this post. I am so glad you were able to find your paperwork and excited to read all about your new California adventures.