Friday, January 2, 2009

Christmas in Cali

For Christmas we went to California to spend it with my husbands family. There was one moment that really made it worth it and that was on the last day other. Grandpa (which is not my grandfather but my husband grandfather) has dementia so he is not himself anymore. For most of the time he says things that are funny or not appropriate but nonetheless I love him. I never knew him when he was healthy but he was a well respected doctor (who even treated Elvis Presley) and he was very respectful towards people and everyone that knew him loved him. Now he can't control what he does and says. Right before we left their house I went into his room and gave him a kiss, told him I loved him and that next time I see him I am going to be a mom and that Jon and I are having the first boy in the family. For about a minute when he talked to me he was himself and he said, "Honey congratulations, if that boy looks anything like you he is going to be the cutest baby" and then I said to him "Grandpa if he looks and is half of what you are he will be the most amazing baby" he just looked at me and said "Thank you, your going to be such a great mom and I love you" I get all teary cause he doesn't have moments like that too often. That has actually been the first time that he has actually said something in his normal voice and actually meant it. He seemed to be with it for just that little moment. I will forever cherish that moment. I hope that Bentley can know what a great person he was.

All the Doulas kids.
Gosh isn't my sister so gorgeous, I think she should be a model.

The hubby and I.

No comments: